Sunday, 12 September 2010

Fun fun fun...

Well I have added the graphics Emm sent me and they look amazing, I still have some loose ends to fix in the game and game engine but once these are sorted we will be able to move forwards into getting everything complete.

I have added a TNetwork class to the Tombstone mix the main reason for this is that we will be making network games along the line as well. TNetwork will encapsulate everything from ENet to Apple networking allowing completely transparent transformation from iPhone, OSX, Windows and Linux. I already have a networking system programmed in BlitzMax that works perfectly but for Graveyard Dogs we wanted to go C++ so I have to 'reinvent' the entire system once again this isnt a major problem for me as I love coding but I havent had a chance to look at Apple networking yet so it will be a nice challenge :)

EDIT: Well after a marathon coding evening (I love those) I have managed to add the loverly top bar effect to the game and add some of the traps. Traps required a bit of changing to the render order to make them show up properly but thats the beauty of Tombstone as I have created the engine from scratch I know how to do all this without having to trawl through manual after manual. After all that the top bar graphical effect was going to be a graphic but there was no better time than now to test out Tombstone's drawing commands and they performed admirably :). Once I got the colour right and the transparency perfect the whole thing came together and now (as Emm suggested) looks amazing :).

I cannot recommend enough writing your own engine rather than using a shop bought one there are loads of reasons for this here are a few:
1) Not happy with a particular feature in the engine, go change it after all if you programmed it you know what every byte of code does (remarks are handy here ;) ).
2) Its a great learning experience to see a game that uses your engine taking shape
3) It does only what you want it to do, no massive direct link library or linux .so file (purebasic 3d users will know about this one 'engine3d.so' is ~13Mb before you even type a single line of code)
4) As you get better at coding so does the engine, we have refined loads of sections of Tombstone to make them leaner, faster or increase their features its all part of progression.

So you see once you have the engine in place adding things to it may seem cumbersome but if you make everything modular then the only limitation is what you want the engine to do. There are loads of examples out there on the internet for things like OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenCL, ENet and Microsoft's forays into graphics if you want to be limited to Win32 only. Personally I have chosen cross-platform as once coded and working on all platforms I dont need to recode everything for OSX etc, OpenGL and OpenAL are perfect for this :).

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogdigger