Saturday, 21 May 2011

XML...

Well I have been looking at XML for some sections of our 'creations' I have now looked much DEEPER into this and think that the Excel version of XML is easiest to work through (the tutorials are amazing in this area) so I will use that one, there is another bonus for this which simply means that OpenOffice and Excel can open these.

At the moment I have the systems in place to identify the XML version, the Excel version and it now creates a worksheet. I will be adding tables and text to the system yet. Yes I could do this in notepad/TextEdit etc but then I would have to do it EVER game with this system I can just do some simple calls to create everything and add the data required to the mix this is then saved out and sorted for the system. Once the entire system is complete it will allow me and Emm to edit items in the game VERY easily.

Well now the entire system works perfectly and I can create a worksheet and add data to it that will appear in the final sheet, this will enable us to quicky and easily edit data on the fly :P

More soon...

Emm:Its brilliant to be part of this, watching our game design tools grow is a particular pleasure.Designing fun with spreadsheets isnt the most eletrifying aspect of game design, but it gets the job done quickly and easily, mass changes to game elements can be done efficiently (imagine changing the values of minerals to be gathered for example) and the whole thing gets more structured and ordered.
Ed has surpassed himself again and coded this in no time.

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely what you're doing, and why you're doing it, but I can't help but think you'd do well to use any other tool than excell to generate your XML (XmlSpy is my favorite). In my experience, relying on Microsoft Office products, at any point in your tool chain is going to lead to massive frustrations.

    ReplyDelete

blogdigger